If you’re new to cinematography then everything you want to learn is on this page.
Feel free to start anywhere and return to this page as often as you like.
Don’t feel like browsing? Search for something…
Or… use this menu to get what you want quickly:
Step 1: Cinematography Basics
Step 2: Cameras, Lenses and Accessories
- How to choose cameras
- How to find the right lenses
- Parts of a camera system
- Guide to lens accessories
- How to protect your gear from the weather
Step 3: Understand Concepts and Terminology
This is the place where you’ll find the answer to the question: What is __________? Simplified for beginners!
- Files, codecs and compression
- Video specifications and concepts
- The basics of color
- Distribution and delivery specifications
Cinematography Concepts Simplified for Beginners
- What is Frame Rate?
- Is Scope 2.4, 2.39 or 2.35 to 1?
- What is Bokeh?
- What is a Light Meter and do you need one for Video?
- What is the 35mm Equivalent and Why is it Confusing?
- Why are there Four Crop Factors, and Do we need all of them?
- What is a Waveform Monitor and How to read a Waveform Monitor (Part One)
- What is a Waveform Monitor and How to read a Waveform Monitor (Part Two)
- What is Exposure in Photography and Cinematography?
- What is White Balance?
- What is Aperture and F-Stop?
- What is Shallow Depth of Field and Deep Depth of Field?
- The 180-degree Rule and How to use it Well
- 10 Reasons why we need External Monitors
- Why you should NEVER use a Histogram for Video
- What is Focal Length in Cinematography?
- Cinematography Tutorial for Beginners
- What is Composition and Framing in Cinematography?
- Cinematographer vs Director. Who Decides What?
- How to Film with Cheap Equipment: 10 Tips
- How to avoid Grain in Low Light Shooting
- What is the best ISO for video?
- The 5 Most Powerful Elements of Cinematography
- The Importance of Lenses in Cinematography
- T-Stops vs F-Stops. Why is one used for photography while the other for cinema?
- What are Pixels, Megapixels and Resolution?
- What is the Difference between Exposure Latitude and Dynamic Range?
- How does Camera Sensor Size Impact Photography and Cinematography?
- What is Aspect Ratio and Which Aspect Ratio is Right for You?
- What is Exposure Triangle and how does it relate to Aperture, Shutter and ISO?
- What is ISO in photography and cinematography?
- What is Shutter Speed, Shutter Angle and How to get the Film Look
- 3 Razor-sharp Cinematographers
- 5 Excellent Books on Cinematography and Lighting
- The Cinematography Apps I Use on my iPhone
Production Audio Basics
- 5 Budget Boom Microphones That Won’t Let You Down
- What is the difference between Line Level and Mic Level?
- 5 Budget Studio Microphone Options for Post Production
- 5 Dependable Audio Mixers for Field Recording
- 5 Low-budget Digital Audio Recorders for Video Production
- Zoom H6 or Tascam DR-60D: Which is the better Sound Recorder?
- 5 Budget Wired Lavalier Microphone Options for Video Production
- 5 Important Wireless Microphone Systems for Video Production
How to Choose Cameras
- The 15 Most Beautifully Designed Video Cameras – 15 to 8
- The 15 Most Beautifully Designed Video Cameras – 7 to 1
- The Best Video Camera for Web Videos (Part One)
- The Best Video Camera for Web Videos (Part Two)
- What is the Best DSLR for Video?
- The Best Video Camera for Web Videos (Part Three)
- The Best Video Camera for Web Videos (Part Four)
- How to Choose Your First Video Camera (Part One)
- How to Choose Your First Video Camera (Part Two)
- The Best Video Camera in the World
- Choosing a Broadcast Camera (Part One): Camera Tiers
- Choosing a Broadcast Camera (Part Two): Is Your Camera Broadcast-worthy?
- Thoughts on the Arri ALEXA 65 65mm 6K Camera
- How to Afford Any Camera and When to Buy One
- What Camera Should I Buy?
- Arri Alexa vs Red: When to Pick Which Camera?
How to find the right lenses
- What Lens to Get? Part One: Subjects and Spaces
- What Lens to Get? Part Two: FOV and Focal Lengths
- What is a Parfocal Lens and is it Useful?
- A Comparison of Prime Cine Lens Kits costing less than $10,000 per Lens
- How I understand the Focal Length of a Lens (Part One): Perspective
- How I understand the Focal Length of a Lens (Part Two): Focal Lengths
- The 15 Things to Look Out For in a Camera Lens (Part One): The Lens Aberration
- The 15 Things to Look Out For in a Camera Lens (Part Two): More Lens Aberrations
- What is the Flange Focal Distance and How to Find More Lenses for Your Camera
- How to Choose a Camera Lens or Lenses for Long and Complex Projects
- What is a Cine Lens and Why must it be different from a Photo Lens?
- What is a Focal Reducer (Speedbooster, LensRegain) and Do You Really Need One?
Parts of a Camera System
- An Overview and Comparison of 16 External Video Recorders
- The Complete Guide to In-Camera Filters
- The Complete Guide to Camera Batteries (Part One)
- The Complete Guide to Camera Batteries (Part Two)
- The Complete Guide to Choosing and Using Video Production Monitors (Part One)
- The Complete Guide to Choosing and Using Video Production Monitors (Part Two)
- 11 Fluid Head Options for Every Budget – from $80 to $5000+
- The 6 Best Lightweight Carbon Fiber Camera Tripods for Fluid Heads
- Understanding a Studio and Location Dolly, and what they Offer that Sliders and DIY Dollies Don’t
Guide to Lens Accessories
- The Complete Matte Box Guide
- The Complete Guide to Lens Filters (Part One)
- The Complete Guide to Lens Filters (Part Two)
- The Complete Guide to Follow Focus Systems
- A Quick Comparison of Six Important 4×5.65″ Matte Boxes for Single Shooters
How to Protect Your Gear from the Weather
- Weather Protection for your Gear (Part I)
- Weather Protection for your Gear (Part II)
- Weather Protection for your Gear (Part III)
- Weather Protection for your Gear (Part IV)
Files, Codecs and Compression
- Bits vs Bytes, and the story behind Disk Drive Sizes
- Bit Rate vs Data Rate
- What is a Video Container or Wrapper?
- Intra-frame vs Inter-frame Compression
- The Difference between Encoding, Transcoding and Rendering
- The Difference between Lossy and Lossless Compression
- What is Video Compression?
- What is Interleaving?
- What is Multiplexing?
- Program Stream vs Transport Stream: The Simple Difference
- Understanding MPEG-2, MPEG-4, H.264, AVCHD and H.265
- What’s Stopping us from having a Universal Codec that will Benefit Humanity?
- The Workflows and Advantages of Working with Image Sequences in Video Post Production
- RAW vs LOG vs Compression Codecs vs Uncompressed HDMI and SDI: A Primer
Basics of Color
- What is Color, Color Bit Depth and a Color Model?
- What is Color Space and the Tristimulus Values XYZ?
- What is Color Gamut and a Wide Gamut Monitor?
- What is the difference between CIE LAB, CIE RGB, CIE xyY and CIE XYZ?
- What is Display Gamma and Gamma Correction?
- Understanding Luminance and Chrominance
- What’s the difference between YUV, YIQ, YPbPr and YCbCr?
- Chroma Subsampling Numbers Explained
- Don’t be Confused between RGB 444 and Y’CbCr 444
- Say Hello to Rec. 2020, the Color Space of the Future
- What is ACES (Academy Color Encoding System)?
- What is a Digital Image Channel and the Alpha Channel?
- What is Color Correction or Color Grading?
- What is a LUT (Look-Up Table)?
Video Specifications and Concepts
- What is Aspect Ratio and Pixel Aspect Ratio?
- Understanding Terminology – Scanning and Interlacing
- What are Progressive Frames, Interlaced Frames and the Field Rate?
- What are Progressive Segmented Frames (PSF)?
- A Quick look at Composite Video and IRE
- What is 6G-SDI?
- What is Full Swing, Studio Swing; and How to Work with Video Levels in Adobe Premiere Pro? (Part One)
- What is Full Swing, Studio Swing; and How to Work with Video Levels in Adobe Premiere Pro? (Part Two)
- What is Full Swing, Studio Swing; and How to Work with Video Levels in Adobe Premiere Pro? (Part Three)
- Ten Video Specifications that need to Die Now
- What is HDR and is HDR worth it?
Distribution, Delivery and Streaming
- What is 4K Television?
- What is 8K TV?
- What is Adaptive Streaming?
- What is MPEG-DASH?
- What is Blu-ray?