If you’re new to cinematography then everything you want to learn is on this page.
Feel free to start anywhere and return to this page as often as you like.
Don’t feel like browsing? Search for something…
Or… use this menu to get what you want quickly:
Step 1: Cinematography Basics
- Cinematography simplified for beginners
- Cinematography resources
- Production audio basics
- The basics of color
Step 2: Cameras, Lenses and Accessories
- How to choose cameras
- How to find the right lenses
- Guide to the best camera accessories
- How to protect your gear from the weather
Step 3: Advanced Cinematography Techniques
Cinematography Concepts Simplified for Beginners
- What is Frame Rate?
- Is Scope 2.4, 2.39 or 2.35 to 1?
- What is Bokeh?
- What is a Light Meter and do you need one for Video?
- What is the 35mm Equivalent and Why is it Confusing?
- Why are there Four Crop Factors, and Do we need all of them?
- What is a Waveform Monitor and How to read a Waveform Monitor (Part One)
- What is a Waveform Monitor and How to read a Waveform Monitor (Part Two)
- What is Exposure in Photography and Cinematography?
- What is White Balance?
- What is Aperture and F-Stop?
- What is Shallow Depth of Field and Deep Depth of Field?
- The 180-degree Rule and How to use it Well
- 10 Reasons why we need External Monitors
- Why you should NEVER use a Histogram for Video
- Cinematography Tutorial for Beginners
- What is Composition and Framing in Cinematography?
- Cinematographer vs Director. Who Decides What?
- How to Film with Cheap Equipment: 10 Tips
- How to avoid Grain in Low Light Shooting
- What is the best ISO for video?
- The 5 Most Powerful Elements of Cinematography
- The Importance of Lenses in Cinematography
- T-Stops vs F-Stops. Why is one used for photography while the other for cinema?
- What is Focal Length in Cinematography?
- Can you learn cinematography on your own?
- What is Cinematography?
- What are Pixels, Megapixels and Resolution?
- What is the Difference between Exposure Latitude and Dynamic Range?
- How does Camera Sensor Size Impact Photography and Cinematography?
- What is Aspect Ratio and Which Aspect Ratio is Right for You?
- What is Exposure Triangle and how does it relate to Aperture, Shutter and ISO?
- What is ISO in photography and cinematography?
- What is Shutter Speed, Shutter Angle and How to get the Film Look
- 3 Razor-sharp Cinematographers
- 5 Excellent Books on Cinematography and Lighting
- The Cinematography Apps I Use on my iPhone
Production Audio Basics
- 5 Budget Boom Microphones That Won’t Let You Down
- What is the difference between Line Level and Mic Level?
- 5 Budget Studio Microphone Options for Post Production
- 5 Dependable Audio Mixers for Field Recording
- 5 Low-budget Digital Audio Recorders for Video Production
- Zoom H6 or Tascam DR-60D: Which is the better Sound Recorder?
- 5 Budget Wired Lavalier Microphone Options for Video Production
- 5 Important Wireless Microphone Systems for Video Production
Basics of Color
- What is Color, Color Bit Depth and a Color Model?
- What is Color Space and the Tristimulus Values XYZ?
- What is Color Gamut and a Wide Gamut Monitor?
- What is the difference between CIE LAB, CIE RGB, CIE xyY and CIE XYZ?
- What is Display Gamma and Gamma Correction?
- Understanding Luminance and Chrominance
- What’s the difference between YUV, YIQ, YPbPr and YCbCr?
- Chroma Subsampling Numbers Explained
- Don’t be Confused between RGB 444 and Y’CbCr 444
- Say Hello to Rec. 2020, the Color Space of the Future
- What is ACES (Academy Color Encoding System)?
- What is a Digital Image Channel and the Alpha Channel?
- What is Color Correction or Color Grading?
- What is a LUT (Look-Up Table)?
- What is HDR and is HDR worth it?
How to Choose Cameras
- The Best Video Camera in the World
- Thoughts on the Arri ALEXA 65 65mm 6K Camera
- How to Afford Any Camera and When to Buy One
- What Camera Should I Buy?
- Arri Alexa vs Red: When to Pick Which Camera?
How to find the right lenses
- What Lens to Get? Part One: Subjects and Spaces
- What Lens to Get? Part Two: FOV and Focal Lengths
- What is a Parfocal Lens and is it Useful?
- A Comparison of Prime Cine Lens Kits costing less than $10,000 per Lens
- How I understand the Focal Length of a Lens (Part One): Perspective
- How I understand the Focal Length of a Lens (Part Two): Focal Lengths
- The 15 Things to Look Out For in a Camera Lens (Part One): The Lens Aberration
- The 15 Things to Look Out For in a Camera Lens (Part Two): More Lens Aberrations
- What is the Flange Focal Distance and How to Find More Lenses for Your Camera
- How to Choose a Camera Lens or Lenses for Long and Complex Projects
- What is a Cine Lens and Why must it be different from a Photo Lens?
- What is a Focal Reducer (Speedbooster, LensRegain) and Do You Really Need One?
- A Comparison of Cine Prime Lenses for Full Frame Cameras
- What is the Best Canon Lens for Video?
Guide to the best camera accessories
- The Complete Guide to In-Camera Filters
- The Complete Guide to Camera Batteries (Part One)
- The Complete Guide to Camera Batteries (Part Two)
- The Complete Guide to Choosing and Using Video Production Monitors (Part One)
- The Complete Guide to Choosing and Using Video Production Monitors (Part Two)
- The 6 Best Lightweight Carbon Fiber Camera Tripods for Fluid Heads
- Understanding a Studio and Location Dolly, and what they Offer that Sliders and DIY Dollies Don’t
- What’s the best way to record and monitor 4K?
- A look at the best 5 budget gimbals
- A Look at 6 Professional Gimbals for Filmmaking
- Best 5″ On-Camera Monitors Under $200
- 11 Fluid Head Options for Every Budget – from $80 to $5000+
- The Complete Matte Box Guide
- The Complete Guide to Lens Filters (Part One)
- The Complete Guide to Lens Filters (Part Two)
- The Complete Guide to Follow Focus Systems
- A Quick Comparison of Six Important 4×5.65″ Matte Boxes for Single Shooters
How to Protect Your Gear from the Weather
- Weather Protection for your Gear (Part I)
- Weather Protection for your Gear (Part II)
- Weather Protection for your Gear (Part III)
- Weather Protection for your Gear (Part IV)
Advanced cinematography concepts
- The Difference between Rolling Shutter and Global Shutter
- Understanding Wireless Video Production (Part One)
- Understanding Wireless Video Production (Part Two)
- Understanding Video Camera Profile or Preset Adjustments and Settings (Part One)
- Understanding Video Camera Profile or Preset Adjustments and Settings (Part Two)
- A Comparison of the Specifications of Four Light Meters
- Why does The Revenant look so 3D and Life-like? What makes the 65mm format Special?
- How to Read Modulation Transfer Function or MTF Charts Easily
Advanced cinematography techniques
- How to Match Shots from Two or More Cameras for Color and Exposure
- How to Cheat Shutter Speeds for Video
- How to avoid blue clipping in low light shooting
- Use These Four Tips to Avoid the “Video Look”
- 9 Cool Cinematic Shots Anyone Can Do
- 5 Camera Techniques for Better Filmmaking
- Anamorphic Workflow Guide for Mirrorless Cameras