This is the main menu of the Sony A7s Guide. Click on any link (in red) to navigate. Use the Main Menu link to arrive back here.
Module A: Getting the Sony A7s ready for duty
- Quick-start guide: A guide for the first time user
- Sony A7s Review: What kind of projects is it good for?
- How to Configure the camera for video and stills
- Very Important: Update Firmware Version ASAP
- Guide to using Autofocus on the Sony A7s (Sony E-mount lenses only)
- Quick Guide to Focusing Manually
- Is there an advantage in turning on OSS (SteadyShot) for Sony FE lenses?
Module B: Lenses, video rigs and accessories for the Sony A7s
- Guide to lens adapters
- Lenses I use and recommend
- How resistant is the Sony A7s to IR Pollution? Tests and Results
- Guide to ND Filters to use on the Sony A7s
- How to choose the right base plate
- Finding the best cage for the Sony A7s
- How to power the Sony A7s: Two Options
- A full configuration and rigging walkthrough with all accessories
- Two HDMI lock options compared
- How to rig an external monitor and electronic viewfinder
- Rigging Gear Specific to the Atomos Shogun
- New accessories announced at NAB 2015 (for both A7s and Shogun)
Module C: Exposing and monitoring
- A quick overview of the options available in camera for exposing and monitoring
- XAVC S vs AVCHD vs MP4 – which to use?
- Usable ISO Range – How low can you go with the Sony A7s?
- Auto White Balance vs Custom White Balance – When to use which?
- A Thorough Comparison of Creative Styles and Picture Profiles
- Test Methodology
- Comparison of Standard and Neutral Creative Styles
- Comparison of Movie and Still Picture Profiles
- A thorough study of Cine1
- A thorough study of Cine2
- A thorough study of Cine3
- A thorough study of Cine4
- A thorough study of Rec. 709
- A thorough study of Rec. 709 800%
- A thorough study of S-Log2
- Two real-world scenes compared
- A Comparison of Cine profiles for skin tones (excluding S-log2 and Hypergamma)
- How to tweak picture profiles, a detailed walkthrough
- S-Log2 Exposure and Monitoring Workflow – the Wolfcrow System
- Handy exposure cheat sheet for any situation
- Solution to the blue clipping problem?
Module D: Data wrangling, working with LUTs and color grading
- Data requirements for the Sony A7s
- File Organization and Metadata
- Sony Catalyst Browse review: What’s it good for?
- How to create dailies and work with LUTs using Catalyst Browse
- How to create dailies and work with LUTs using DaVinci Resolve
- A complete S-Log2 grading walkthrough in Adobe Speedgrade
- Printable PDF Infographic on the S-Log2 on-set production workflow
- How to edit XAVC S footage?
- How to work with XAVC S S-Log2 Footage in Final Cut Pro X
- Comparison of Film Emulation LUTs – Filmconvert vs Magic Bullet Film vs Juan Malera’s Free LUTs
- A Comparison of Noise Reduction Techniques for Log footage shot on the Sony a7S II and a7R II
Module E: Audio workflows
- Quality of internal recording compared to external recorders
- How to record and monitor audio on the Sony A7s
- How to record dual system audio with the Sony A7s
- My simple audio post production workflow
Module F: External monitoring, recording and 4K workflows
- What do you get with HDMI anyway? A detailed look.
- How to connect and use an external monitor and electronic viewfinder
- How to expose correctly using the False Color tool
- How to record 4K from the Sony A7s and what’s the cheapest way?
- Atomos Shogun Workflows:
- Atomos Shogun Review
- Step-by-step configuration guide and workflow with the Sony A7s
- What hard drives to use with the Shogun, and a data strategy for 4K editing
- How to expose correctly using the Shogun
- Quality of internal 1080p recording compared to Prores on the Shogun
- Quality of 4K recording, and which Prores version to use
Module G: Timelapse workflows
- Understanding Bracketing in the Sony A7s
- JJC TM-F2 Review: Intervalometer for the Sony A7s
- How to Make Timelapses with the JJC TM-F2 Intervalometer and the Sony A7s: My Workflow